gilli moon products

Sunday, December 25, 2005

end of year musings. taking stock of 05

G'day everyone. Gilli here. Thought I'd send you all a newsletter to sink your teeth into as we head towards C day (you know, that apparent birthday of a prophet who seemed to spread his creativity, words and miracles far and wide.) Seems like this time of year is a great time to reflect about our own lives, where we've been, where we are going. Who we are, Who we want to become. I've landed in Australia for some good time out, holiday cheer, time with family and, of course, the usual end of year warrior girl think-tank for the new year.
It's been a terrific year, don't you think? We can all talk about the dramas, politics and natural disasters, but I would like to think that many of us have had the opportunity to really take stock of our lives through all this shenanegans this year, and achieved greatness within each of us. Because that's what it's about. Taking on whatever circumstances and being masters of our own destiny. For me, it's been an immensily creative year, with lots of travel. My life as an expressionist and an explorer has taken me far and wide across oceans and lands, with tours to Great Britain, the South West of U.S, East Coast and now I'm in Australia. I also have been blessed with being still, in the music studio, producing 3 albums that I'm terribly thrilled about. Of course, as you all know, I was in the studio for over a year on my latest album, extraOrdinary life, which was completed in July and we had an L.A and NY album launch for that. Being able to create an album filled with personal anecdotes of life, love and living in Los Angeles has been very satisfying, and it's also enhanced with video and photos. The musicians on the album are incredible. I'm really honored to have had them involved, as well as my engineers and all the people involved in putting it together and now promoting it. It's a finalist (top 5) in the Independent Music Awards and we'll know how it goes this month. The judges included Norah Jones, Melissa Ethridge and Jonatha Brooks. Good company don't you think? Anyway,.. I'll be spending the next year or so marketing this album with more touring and good stuff. The tours are called the "ordinary tour" and it looks like 2006 is already going to be full-on with travel. Yippee! Some details below on getting your copy of the CD and/or downloads. I do hope you can all get a CD and support it. The artwork and enhanced part (video) alone deserves more than just a download, let alone some good music that sounds way better off the CD itself than squashed mp3s ;) So scroll down below for how to get your copy.
As part of my Warrior Girl Music 05 endeavours, I also completed Dina Gathe's album Bother Me in October and we just released the album with a great launch at the Mint, Los Angeles early December. I performed a set with my band, J Walker did spoken word (wait till you hear his upcoming spoken-word and rap CD release Rhymecology, ...oh my!), Jennifer J hosted the night and Dina Gathe rocked with her band, which I played keyboards in for kicks. Dina's album is exceptional if I do say so myself, with over a year in the making of her and I in the studio, and you can get your copy at the Warrior Girl Music store... details below. It's very rock and modern in a sense, has a great retro feel that wouldn't give it justice if I compared her, but let's say Chrissie Hindles of 05 is along the lines, with a real Gomez edge. Also another produced album (I'm really LOVING producing and want to do more!!) is Holly Light's album, to be released April/May. Already seen as a Bob Dillon meets Sheryl Crow vibe, it is again way cooler to even compare. But it's totally in your face with hits and yet has a great blues, folk and rock vibe. We have a 3 song EP on the Store available and you can hear her music on our site too. http://www.warriorgirlmusic.com/ go Artists for all the artists. Then of course, we released the Females On Fire [double] CD Compilation in August with a stunning 18 artist launch at the Mint in Los Angeles. The media have already fallen in love with this 30 artist cd and more about it written below. Next year we are doing a second compilation plus some touring. It's very exciting.
I've been doing a lot of writing. My online blog is filled with feelings and motivations, and then I usually keep my articles and motivational food for thoughts flowing. http://www.gillimoon.com/prose for all of that. I try and keep the motivation flowing for other artists who seem to battle it out in the music biz front. The times are a changing and we all really need to tackle it differently to get noticed. I'm constantly looking at new ways to do and see things. Below is my new podcasting article, which is definitely a new phenomenon that I'm loving.
As for Songsalive!, it's been an incredible year for this non-profit songwriters organization that's now 8 year's old. Here's what I can remember of it briefly, and I think it's good to take stock at how MUCH we have accomplished as a unified team (over 30 volunteers I might add who give their time freely and with passion). In 2005, we have developed 4 new chapters - Nashville TN, Austin Texas, Calgary Canada, and Byron Bay Australia. We now have 17 chapters worldwide in all four corners of the globe! We have developed an amazing list of partners with Songsalive!, the most recent being Unisong Competition, performer.com, listrocket.com, cdbaby.com, itsaboutmusic.com... and more. We have had exhibition booths in 2005 at DIY Los Angeles Feb, SXSW Austin March, Call to Arts Los Angeles April, IMC Philly Sept, Neme CT Sept, Nemo Boston Oct, Taxi Road Rally L.A Nov, Rockrgrl Seattle Nov,.. all of which we had the Songsalive! CD Samplers on exhibition. I also traveled to London and introduced us there in July. Lot's of travelling. Our Showcases and Workshops continue to happen every month and if any artists are interested check them out at http://www.songsalive.org/events where we are always looking for performers and attendees around the globe.
Finally, as you know, I'm in Australia. So keep close to the Tour page on my website for details on what might transpire down-under. Time for rejuvination and reinvention, some writing (a new book coming out soon) and summertime! There is much to do in 06, lots of creativity, being the explorer that I am with travel, and just loving the journey. I hope you are loving yours wherever you may be.
Meanwhile I wish each and every one of you a wonderful christmas, happy hanukah, merry quansa, fun holidays and anything else that might kick start your new year's resolution thinking so that 2006 will be an extraOrdinary one for you as it will be for me. Thank you for all your support, words, friendships, joy of creativity and well... just thank you. Talk to you all in the new year.
gilli moon
Read the Warrior Girl Music newsletter
www.warriorgirlmusic.com/enew

No comments:

Post a Comment