HOW TO BE A SUCCESSFUL ARTIST ENTREPRENEUR
Excerpt from Gilli Moon’s book, JUST GET OUT THERE (see end for details)
If you caught this in April's Music Connection, then I hope your creative juices are all flowing :) If you didn't, or even if you did, here's my full article I wrote, and some additions that didn't make the magazine cut. Enjoy!
1. It takes Passion – if you’re not passionate about it, you’ll be left behind by those who really are truly passionate about it, and love it.
2. It’s all about how you balance your time: time management – be organized with your business affairs and with how you use your time. Create a schedule that includes your music biz stuff and time to be creative.
3. It’s a life long journey – being an Artist Entrepreneur is about being in it for life. It’s all about enjoying the process and understanding it’s lifelong. So take the time and enjoy the journey.
4. You need to see yourself as a business – Use left and right brain thinking. Diversify your talents. Be creative with a business mind.
5. Learn my 3 Os: Optimism + Organized = Opportunity - If you don’t have optimism, it will undermine your Art and every step you have taken towards your path. Allow opportunities to manifest in your life by learning to create JOY in your life! Being organized means being business minded, disciplined and getting your ducks in a row. All this provides opportunities… and they come when you least expect them!
6. Know thyself and represent yourself appropriately - Whether you want to be a rock star, or a consummate Artist, or both, you need to be clear and focused with what path you take and how you are going to promote yourself. If you can’t describe Who You Are well, you could be sabotaging every future step. Getting to know your competitive advantage and unique selling point (marketing of you) is the next step.
7. I AM versus I WANT - If you only proclaim that you "want" something, then all you will ever get is "wanting" without any actualization. Use your words carefully. Introduce yourself to the world as someone who already is. That way you are empowering yourself to be the person you've always dreamed of being.
8. Get started – just get out there - Take small tangible steps. Write your dreams down, and be as ambitious as you want. Create a plan, starting with some goals that you want to achieve within the next couple of years, and strategies on how you think you can achieve them. Remember, you don’t have to know exactly how to get there, but just write what you know, for now. The doors will begin to open.
9. Age doesn’t matter - It doesn't matter how old you are in the world of Artistry. Ignore what you hear from hearsay: you can be any age you want to be as an Artist in the Arts business. It all depends on the market you are targeting (so know your market). You have all the time you need. We are Artists for LIFE.
10.Learn but also be all knowing - Be the student of life, but know you have what you need to be who you want to be. By taking that first step, the other foot will follow, and the seemingly foggy path will clear up and illuminate the way.
11. Seek no one else’s approval but your own - I'm not suggesting that we don't seek advice, or that we have to do things alone, but at the end of the day, you must make the decision as to what’s best for you. Also, work with others, just don’t rely on others to make it happen for you.
12. Community and Relationships - Bringing people together, and networking within your community or communities you participate in, is the key to success. Relationships are THE most important aspect of developing your business. Remember to ask “what can I do for you” first before you expect something in return. Also, capitalize on your current contacts. Go through your rolodex (Outlook, contact list, Facebook). You’ll be surprised who you know that might be just the person you need.
13. Enjoy it. It is a game - How can one possibly proceed into the world of the Arts without seeing it as a bit of fun? My gosh, we are so lucky as Artists to pursue a life in music! The world has gotten so serious! Think of it like a 'game' and know that this game is made up of people playing the game. The 'game' of the music business can be played with tenacity, joy and passion, if you put your mind to it.
14. Know your uniqueness - Many Artists all wanting those top 10 slots on the Billboard charts right? Wrong. There is room for everyone at the ‘top’. It all depends on what you want, and what you bring to the table. You all have something very unique about you that can tap into a market all to itself. You CAN find your niche for your music if you know what makes you unique. I’ve always called this “finding your competitive advantage = Your talent + your uniqueness.”
15. It’s a choice – you “choose” to do it - Yes, that’s right. You’re not a victim here. You want it? Then do it, but don’t complain about it. Remember, you’re a business person, in the business of music.
16. Dare to be different - Are you afraid to be different? Artists are innately interesting, so just being yourself goes a long way. Stand up to your own individualism. Sometimes you just have to be adventurous and daring, and be WHO YOU ARE. Go for it!
Australia’s Hollywood based Gilli Moon is an Artist, Author, Motivational Speaker Author
and Artist Entrepreneur.
JUST GET OUT THERE, Gilli Moon’s 2nd book, is the Artist's bible to achieving abundance, self-empowerment and professional success as an Artist entrepreneur. 300+ pages filled with in-depth tips, tools, steps and resources on getting out there as an Artist, all the while achieving personal, financial and professional success and joy. The book covers topics such as defining your uniqueness; building your dream and creating a plan around your goals; balancing the art with the 'business' through time management and prioritization techniques; fundamentals in producing, releasing, marketing, promotion, performing and touring; using the Internet; and a plethora of in-depth tips, tools, steps and resources on getting out there as an Artist. Throughout this book, Gilli is guiding you, asking you questions, giving you exercises, and making you think and act the way a strong business savvy Artist should, leading you to the Artist you ultimately want to become. JUST GET OUT THERE provides Artists inspiration: a sense of hope and assurance through anecdotal stories (some about Gilli’s personal life), motivational messages and real, practical, tried and tested strategies. Ultimately it’s about enjoying the journey along your path to creative success.
Grab your copy at www.justgetoutthere.net
More about Gilli Moon at www.gillimoon.com